Sunday 22 May 2005: The outcome
of the expedition rests on the edge of a knife. Today we have made the
decision to make another push up the mountain. Like last time, the forecast is
not very predictable and does not look that good. We have no choice. I have
developed a schedule to maximize my chances and give me two possible attempts
at the peak. It is a long shot but all we need is a morning of relativity calm
weather. We will be going for the summit using the forecast just as a guide.
We have no choice and are out of time. I tell you what, I am sure as hell not
going to walk away from this mountain without giving it a really, really good
schedule is as follows
22 May - Rest at Base Camp
23 May - Climb to Camp 2
24 May - Rest Day at Camp 2
25 May - Climb to Camp 3
26 May - Climb to Camp 4
27 May - Potential Summit Day
28 May - Potential Summit Day
29 May - Descend to Camp 2
30 May - Rest Day at Camp 2
31 May - Rest Day at Camp 2
01 June - Climb to Camp 3
02 June - Climb to Camp 4
03 June - Potential Summit Day
04 June - Return to Camp 2
05 June - Return to Base Camp
06 June - Drink Beer
07 June - Walk out of Base Camp
The Schedule gives me two
attempts on the mountain. If the 27th or 28th does not work out for hitting
the top then we come back down the mountain to Camp Two and try again for our
last possible summit day on the 3rd of June. Again, everything is subject to
change depending on the environment but I guarantee this schedule will
maximize my chance of getting to the top in unfavorable conditions.
This time I highly doubt I
will come back down to Base Camp before my summit bid. This is it, what I have
worked so hard for. It will all come down to one morning’s weather. I pray
that, on that morning the Gods will smile on us and Everest will be kind and
let me and my team mate rise to her summit for a short period, then descend
This is it, the final stand,
the final push. Please send your best wishes to the mountain for me and pray
that we get good weather on summit day. Here we go, fingers crossed.
Caroline will be posting the
updates from tomorrow until I get back to Base Camp, which could be as late as
the 5th or 6th of June.
Live the life you have
dreamed of, because I am living mine, and more. These days have got to be the
most exciting I have ever had, It’s all go. I have never felt more alive and
on edge as I do now. Please may the Weather Gods be kind.
See you all soon (mid June I
Rex Pemberton is a motivational
Twenty-year-old Australian Rex Pemberton has a dream. Already an
experienced Alpine climber, Rex has set his sights on Mt Everest and hopes to
become the youngest Australian to stand atop the world's tallest mountain by
summiting in 2005.
By the age of 10 Rex wanted to climb every hill and mountain he could find,
by 16 Rex was on an expedition to Bolivia and Peru where he climbed
6,025-meter Mt. Huclca Huclca. In addition he has already climbed on six of
the seven continents including famous ascents of Mt. Cook and Mt. Aspiring in
New Zealand. He's stood atop Mt. Blanc, the Matterhorn and 14 other
4,000-meter peaks in the European Alps.
If things go according to plan and corporate funding falls into place Rex
will lead an expedition to Nepal in the spring of next year. It's not a cheap
venture, as any Everest veteran will tell you. Rex, who runs his own
development company and works with corporate trainers Peak Times, is looking
to raise at least $65,000AU for his expedition. It's a venture that Rex
believes will pay big dividends for the Australian corporation that funds his
expedition. He expects a lot of interest and publicity during his attempt at
the Australian record for youngest Everest summiter.
As he works toward completing his dream Rex continues train and maintains a
rigorous schedule of running, gym workouts and stair climbing to keep in top
shape for the challenge ahead.
Sport Everest Boot has made some minor changes by adding
more Kevlar. USES Expeditions / High
altitude / Mountaineering in extremely cold conditions / Isothermal to
-75°F Gore-Tex® Top dry / Evazote Reinforcements with aramid threads.
Avg. Weight: 5 lbs 13 oz Sizes: 5 - 14 DESCRIPTION Boot with semi-rigid
shell and built-in Gore-Tex® gaiter reinforced by aramid threads, and
removable inner slipper Automatic crampon attachment Non-compressive
fastening Double zip, so easier to put on Microcellular midsole to
increase insulation Removable inner slipper in aluminized alveolate
Fiberglass and carbon footbed Cordura + Evazote upper Elasticated
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
SIZES LISTED. See more here.