Location: Everest Base Camp
Local Time: 17:25, 13 April
Weather: Overcast, 0C
Hi everyone, its Paul here
coming to you from inside our dining tent at Everest base camp, where we have
just finished an afternoon snack of popcorn, biscuits, tea and coffee.
The big news today is that
the ice fall route is now complete and the first loads have been carried up to
Camp 1 by our Sherpas. This is a bit late in the season for establishing Camp
1, but I don’t think it will hold us back. The route to camp 2 is still five
days off being in place, however some of our Sherpas are planning to offer
assistance to the icefall doctors to speed up the establishment of the route
to Camp 2. There are a lot of ladders needed to cross crevases in the Western
Cwm and these need to be carried up.
Some of our gear is up in
Our Sherpas took two and a half hours to climb to Camp 1 today with tents,
food and stoves to establish the camp. They will go up again tomorrow to
complete the setup of the camp, so hopefully we could go up the the day after
(Saturday). Today there was word that some parts of the icefall route
collapsed, so the icefall doctors will have to repair this before they can
continue with establishing the route to camp 2.
Do we go up now or wait for
We are a bit undecided as to the best strategy to take. Some people are
planning to go up the icefall on Saturday and sleep a few nights in camp 1 and
then come back down to base camp. It would be preferable to be able to go from
camp 1 to camp 2, but if the route isn't established (no ladders are in
place), this won't be an option. We are thinking that if we wait another day
or two and then go up, we might be able to time it so that the route to camp 2
is complete. Our plan would then be to go climb to camp 2 and come back to
camp 1 and sleep, then the next day go to camp 2 and sleep. We would stay at
camp 2 for 3-4 days, climbing a bit higher during the day for acclimatisation,
but coming back to camp 2 at night.
It really boils down to how
long its going to take to get the route through to camp 2 and then the camp
established. Hopefully we can find out more tomorrow.
If we could go to camp 1 & 2
in one trip, we would then have to make just one more trip up through the
icefall to get up to camp 3; the highest point on our acclimatisation program.
Till next time,