Location: Everest Base Camp
Local Time: 5:30pm, 14th April
Weather: Sunny and windy, 5C
Hi there, it's Fiona here,
We've decided to delay any
further forays up the mountain until Paul's throat and chest is a bit better -
at least a couple more days.
A Visit to the Doc
After a slight worsening of Paul's throat and a bad night's sleep, we decided
to take a visit to the doctors at the Himalayan Rescue Association at base
camp (use of this service is included with our expedition). Paul had already
seen them not long after we arrived at base camp but was advised that it had
not become infected and to sit it out. Now though, they listened to his chest
and checked his throat and advised to start taking antibiotics now. So
hopefully he'll start feeling better in a day or two.
Testing for NASA
The team here has been asked to participate in a study commissioned by NASA to
test the effects of high altitude (and oxygen deprivation) on cognitive
thinking and language skills. Today we completed the first section of this
test - there were 3 parts, some of which already seem very complicated. The
plan is that we repeat these tests again once we are at Camp 2 so that the
different results can be compared. This is the 5th and final year this study
has been going on.
The rest of the day was spent having a shower and then doing some laundry - so
feeling nice and clean now.
Chris and Bridge - glad to
hear that you made it back to Kathmandu without incident. Hope the rest of
your time there goes well.
Best wishes to everyone,