Home
   Today's News
   8000 Meters Facts
  
Banners Ads
   Bookstore
   Classified Ads
   Climb for Peace
  
Contact

   Downloads
  
Educational
  
Expeditions
  
Facts
  
Games
  
Gear
  
History
  
Interviews

   Mailing List
   Media

   Medical
  
News (current)
   News Archives
   Sat Phones
   Search
   Seven Summits
   Snowboard
   Speakers
   Students
   Readers Guide
   Risks

   Trip Reports
   Visitor Agreement

   Volunteer/help

 

    
  

 

  




  Everest 2006: Fi and Paul: Summit Push Decisions and Preparations


Location: Everest Base Camp
Altitude: 5350m
Local Time: 5:30pm, 15th May
Weather: Mainly fine, 10C

Hi everyone, it's Fiona here.
While on another day of "active rest", we've been looking at the weather and believe that the forecast is good enough for us to head up on Wednesday.

Getting to the Starting Line
After breakfast today, we checked the new weather forecast which had come in late last night. While not greatly changed, the prediction for fairly low winds seems to have been extended, with no real end in sight yet. The Jet-Stream, which seems to determine most of the winds, is still far away to our North - and we don't want to risk waiting too long as it is bound to come close at some stage. We discussed this at length with one of the coaches here (who has climbed Everest 6 times previously), and weighing it all up, we've pretty much decided that the current weather pattern looks at least good enough for us to head up to Camp 2. From here, if the forecast is still good, we can continue onwards towards the summit, but if there is a change, we can either wait for a few days at C2, or return down to Base Camp. At least we'll be at the starting blocks so to speak.

In the best case, if all goes perfectly to plan, we'll move to C2 on the 17th, rest on the 18th, move to C3 on the 19th, move to C4 on the 20th and then start for the summit later that night (around 10pm). This would make our possible summit date as the 21st. Of course, there is a lot that can happen between now and then though!

We'll delay making a final decision about leaving on Wednesday until we see tomorrow's forecast, and speaking to our Sherpas - who should be returning from visiting with their families sometime tomorrow.

Preparations Begin
With our departure for the summit now (possibly) drawing close, we started to get some things organised. I washed a few more clothes (the thermal underwear I was wearing yesterday) and finished drying yesterday's wash.

We then started gathering up the food we will need for Camps 3 and 4. We're taking enough food so that we can spend 2 nights at Camp 4 should the need arise to wait out weather. For dinner, we use meal sachets that you heat by simply submerging the packet in boiling water. We then eat straight out of the package - saving the need to wash up any pots.

A lot of the food we're taking is snacks though - biscuits, muesli bars, cheese slices, jubes, fruit bars and of course, chocolate (although it will probably be too cold to eat it).

Paul has also been testing the Hotronics foot warmers - they seem to be a bit flakey down here. When we climb from Camp 3 to Camp 4, we plan to test these, as well as the combination of clothes we're planning to wear for the summit.

Mary is having a lesson in how to update as when we're high up, we'll radio in our position and hopefully she'll be able to keep you guys informed.

Again, that's all for today.
Hope everyone out there is well, Fiona

Updates

 

Millet One Sport Everest Boot Expedition and mountaineering boot for high altitude and extremely cold conditions. The Everest has conquered all 14 mountains over 8,000m and also the Seven Summits- and has now had a makeover to ensure continued peak preformance. With a newer sung, Alpine Fit, and even lighter Expedition footwear for mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold.  NOTE US SIZES LISTED. See more here.

 

A cold weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura® upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand See more here.

 






 

   Ascenders

   Atlas snowshoes

   Atomic

   Big Agnes

   Black Diamond

   Brunton

   Carabiners

   Chaco

   Cloudveil

   Columbia
  
CMI

   Crampons

   Edelweiss ropes
  
Eureka Tents

   Exofficio

   FiveTen

   Featured

   FoxRiver

   Gregory

   Granite Gear

   Harnesses
  
Headlamps

   Hestra
  
Helmets

   Helly Hansen

   HighGear

   HornyToad
  
Ice Axes

   Julbo

   Kavu Eyewear

   Katadyn

   Kelty

   Kong

   Lekisport

   Life is Good

   Lowa

   Lowe Alpine

   Lowepro

   Millet

   Motorola

   Mountain Hardwear

   Mountainsmith

   MSR

   Nalgene

   New England Ropes

   Nikwax

   Omega

   Osprey

   Outdoor Research
  
Patagonia

   Pelican

   Petzl

   Prana

   Princeton Tec

   Primus

   Rope Bags

   Royal Robbins

   Salomon

   Scarpa

   Scott

   Seattle Sports

   Serius
  
Sleeping Bags

   Sterling Rope

   Stubai

   Suunto

   Tents

   Teva

   Thermarest

   Trango

   Tool Logic

   Trekking Poles
  
Yaktrax
  
and more here

 



Send email to     •   Copyright© 1998-2005 EverestNews.com
All rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Visitor Agreement, Legal Notes: Read it