Location: Everest Base Camp
Local Time: 17:00, May 16
Weather: Warm in the morning, but cold and snowing in the afternoon. min -2C
Hi Everyone, It's Paul here.
This morning Fiona and I checked the weather and the spell of low winds looks
set to continue into next week, so we decided to continue with our plan of
leaving for our run up to the summit tomorrow.
The weather forecast looks great, although they say that after May 21 the
winds will start increasing. It also says that they think that the jetstream
winds are unlikely to return to the Everest region this climbing season, which
is great news. Our tentative summit date would be May 21, leaving the South
Col (C4) on the night of May 20.
Tomorrow we plan to go to C2 in one long stint, and then the next day rest,
and rehydrate. This will be the last time we have liquid water on hand, after
C2 we will have to melt snow. The following day, May 19, we will climb to C3,
then the next day C4. That night we will leave for the summit. This is all
highly weather dependant, and as we have plenty of time left, we are not in a
hurry and will wait for good weather if need be.
Packing and getting ready
We packed up our food today for camp 3 and camp 4. One night's food for C3 and
two for C4 (in case we have to wait out some bad weather for a summit
attempt). Most of our summit clothes are at C2, but we are bringing up some
more chemical warmers, socks and spare gloves. All the batteries of our boot
warmers are charged, as are our camera batterries. We are taking lithium
batteries for our head torches, as these work better in the cold. At $20 for
four AA batteries they are expensive. Both Fiona and I had showers and I had a
shave. This is very important for ensuring that the oxygen mask makes a good
seal around your face.
Our Sherpas are back
Dasona and Mingma are back from visiting their families in Pangboche and
Phortse. They said everything was well at home.
Mary has been issued with a radio so that she can keep track of our progress.
She is settling in well at base camp. Tomorrow we are getting up at about
3:00am, with breakfast at 4:00am and aiming for a 4:30am sharp departure. Mary
says she wants to get up with us and walk to the crampon point in the icefall
(where we put on our crampons)!
That’s all for now,
PS. Only two more trips
through the icefall!