Location: Camp 2
Local Time: 4:45pm, 19th May
Weather: Very windy & snowy overnight, then fine
Hi everyone, it's Fiona here,
Unfortunately we're coming to you from Camp 2 and not Camp 3 due to new
weather forecasts and strong winds last night.
A Last Minute Decision
We woke at 3:30 this morning to get ready for our 5am departure for Camp 3.
With backpacks packed, down suits on, sunscreen thawed, and chemical heat
warmers activated, we headed into the dining tent for a quick breakfast and to
put on our climbing harnesses and crampons.
As agreed yesterday, we
radioed base camp for an update on the latest weather at 4:30am. (Base camp
receives these by email at around 10pm each night - way past our bed time!)
What a disappointment. The
forecast for Sunday 21st (the day of our proposed summit attempt) had gone
from average to pretty bad. In fact, that day is now forecast to be the worst
for a while with very high winds of over 60 knots and snowfall.
After much deliberation, we
decided to stay here at Camp 2 for a while. Camp 3 is really too high to spend
any length of time waiting for weather to improve.
More Rest at C2
After discussing our strategy for a while, we returned to our tent and
sleeping bags at around 6am. We've since spent much of the day between our
tent and the dining tent - trying to stay hydrated.
The various weather forecasts that we receive or overhear all seem to indicate
some sort of easing in winds and snowfall towards the middle of next week
(around 23rd - 25th seems most likely). We are unclear yet as to whether the
winds will drop low enough to allow a summit attempt, but this is what we're
aiming for now. This would mean staying at C2 until 21st or 22nd - not ideal
but also not too bad either. (I guess this is why C2 is also known as Advanced
Base Camp.) But of course everything depends on the new weather forecasts we
receive between now and then.
Welcoming Back the Summit
Camp 2 has become the non-official welcoming point for the returning IMG
summit climbers. We have enjoyed congratulating all of these climbers on their
immense efforts and hearing about their summit stories. They've all shared
little tips with us about managing their oxygen, rest points, keeping hands
and toes warm, managing food and water to stop it from freezing etc.
Most of this group were
fortunate enough to summit in absolutely perfect weather conditions. We hope
we can do the same soon. Some of them returned all the way to C2 on the same
day of their summit, while others have chosen to rest and spend the night at
C4 before coming down to C2 the next day.
The IMG Summit list from last night:
As per the message
received from the Basecamp (Liaison Officer) the following one member and two
High Altitude Workers of "2006 IMG Everest Expedition (I)" team climbed Mt.
Everest at 7.00 a.m. on 19th May 2006.
1. Ms. Sophia Marie
Danenberg (34), Business, Kinne Road, Glastonbury, Connecticut, USA,
- Mr. Pa
Nuru Sherpa (38), High Altitude Worker, Khumjung - 9, Phorche, Solukhumbu,
Mingma Tshiring Shrepa (34), High Altitude Worker, Khumjung - 9, Phorche
The above mentioned
expedition team comprising of 8 members was permitted to climb 8848 meter high
Mt. Everest from normal route for the period of 75 days from 23rd March, 2006
under the leadership of Mr. Justin Reese Merle of USA.
The handling agency
of the expedition team is Great Escapes Trekking Pvt. Ltd., Kathmandu, Nepal.