6 a.m. Moving up the
Paul and Fiona have asked me to let you know in real time what is happening.
Although the weather forecast normally comes in by 11.30 ish pm, last night's
didn't come in until nearly 1 a.m!. When it finally came, it talked of mid to
high level winds-approx 20-40- knots for Everest. It also said they were not
expecting any major snow, just light snow (me...a good thing). There would be
a few clouds but not a lot. While the weather forecast was coming in I could
hear a dog barking in the distance. This is the first time I have heard it
since I have been here-maybe it was Mallory wishing them "good luck"!
Leaving Camp 3
Paul and Fiona checked in this morning at 6 a.m. and said they were just
leaving Camp 3 on their way to the South Col (Camp 4) They have their two
wonderful Sherpas, Dasona and Mingma with them. The weather here at Base Camp
is cold but beautiful. We had a light dusting of snow last night which softens
the harsh look of the rocks on which Base Camp is "built" - rocks on top of a
glacier-the only flat areas are where the Sherpas have piled the rocks up so
the tents, both sleeping and communication, storage, cooking and dining can be
erected! The sun is just beginning to rise over the mountains around here (you
cannot see Everest from Base Camp) and it has the feel of a very special day.
I will continue to do regular updates over the next 24 hours or so as I
receive them from Paul and Fiona. They hope to reach Camp 4 by lunchtime, rest
and then if everything is going well, go for the Summit later tonight.
My big sister Sue- Happy Birthday. Just as well we had your party last year or
I wouldn't have been able to make it!
"Stay tuned" to your
computers - I will let you know how things are going as I hear.