Base Camp. 01 May 06
Sickness on the Mountain
I caught a very bad cough &
cold at C2. Nasal congestion caused me to wake up frequently at night to blow
my nose. The coughs sent searing pain through my throat as if someone was
sand-papering it. The panadol & logenzes Vincent gave me didn't work.
After 2 nights at C2, I
decided I needed to get down to BC to recuperate & see doctor. The body can't
heal at 6300m. Since Vincent is healthy, he will stay at C2 to go up to C3 for
acclimatization in the next few days.
So at 1pm today, I started
down to BC. It was a slow and painful walk. With the incessant cough, I had to
stop regularly to catch my breath. Descending the icefall was a nightmare. It
started snowing heavily with poor visibility. One section of the icefall had
just collapsed. I saw a ladder twisted and crushed under the power of the ice.
The rope was broken. For the next 100m or so, I had to find my way to the
other side of the rope where the route continues down.
The place was very dangerous.
To be in this situation in a healthy state is hard enough. To be going through
this when you're sick, it's a lot of suffering. I didn't want to be there. I
just wanted to curl up in my sleeping bag at BC. And I didn't want to be there
alone. Furi hasn't caught up with me yet as he was coming down from C3.
Luckily, there were 2 Polish behind me. So I pressed on.
Thank God we made it through
that broken section safely. Furi caught up with me near BC.
Dr Eric quickly did a checkup
on me. He started me on antibiotic & cough drop immediately.
While I was at the clinic,
there was an Italian climber lying unconscious on the bed breathing oxygen. He
had taken a fall this afternoon in the icefall and his ice-axe hit his head
causing serious injury. He is awaiting a helicopter rescue tomorrow morning.
Just another warning of the danger in the icefall.
Base Camp. 27 April 06
It's been a week since we
came down from the 4-night adventure at C1. In between rest days, we took a
walk to Gorak Shep and 2 days ago, I went up to C2 for a day visit.
Today, the route to C3 is
ready. Thanks to the bigger teams with many Sherpas manpower.
Our next part of
acclimatization plan is to go up to C1 tomorrow and C2 the following day. Our
Sherpas are going to set up C2 tomorrow. After 1-2 days' rest at C2, we will
go up to C3 for a day visit. Hopefully, by then, our C3 would be ready for us
to spend 1-2 nights there.
So, if all goes well, we'll
be away from BC for about a week.
The weather has been quite
consistent - sunny in the morning, cloudy and snowing in the afternoon. Let's
hope there is no storm while we are up there.
Vincent and myself are eating
and sleeping well. No major problem so far. We are staying focus on the task
ahead. Our Sherpas are doing well too. God has been good to keep us all safe.
Thanks for all your prayers. I know many friends and strangers are praying for
It's been a month since I
left home on 26th March. I can't wait to finish this climb and go home to my
family. One more month to go. Next 3 weeks will be very exciting with possibly
the 1st summit window approaching.
Sport Everest Boot has made some minor changes by adding
more Kevlar. USES Expeditions / High
altitude / Mountaineering in extremely cold conditions / Isothermal to
-75°F Gore-Tex® Top dry / Evazote Reinforcements with aramid threads.
Avg. Weight: 5 lbs 13 oz Sizes: 5 - 14 DESCRIPTION Boot with semi-rigid
shell and built-in Gore-Tex® gaiter reinforced by aramid threads, and
removable inner slipper Automatic crampon attachment Non-compressive
fastening Double zip, so easier to put on Microcellular midsole to
increase insulation Removable inner slipper in aluminized alveolate
Fiberglass and carbon footbed Cordura + Evazote upper Elasticated
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
SIZES LISTED. See more here.