Update 5/14/03: Romanian Expedition- North Side:
Tomorrow, May 15, the 8 climbing members of the
team are leaving the ABC on their final ascent.
As the weather forecasts
predicts good weather on May 18,19, they hope to be so and to be able to climb
the mountain during this window of good weather.
The climbing members are:
Cornel Galescu, Marius Gane, Teodor Tulpan, Lucian Bogdan, Sebastian Koga
(doctor of the expedition), Mihai Sima, Sorin Smilovici and of course George
Dijmarescu (accompanied by Lakpa Sherpa).
They are leaving ABC tomorrow
morning and will get to the North Col in the afternoon. They will sleep here
overnight. On Friday, May 16, they will leave North Col and get to Camp II
where they will sleep overnight. On Saturday they will leave Camp II and
hopefully get to Camp III ( if the weather is ok ), they will stay here
overnight and early in the morning of Sunday they intend to go for the peak.
There will climb in only 1
group made up of teams of 2 maximum 3 members.
David Neacsu, expedition
leader, is at the Base Camp. He cannot go higher than this because of some
serious heart problems which occurred 3 weeks ago. All the camps are now
properly equipped with the necessary equipment for the final ascension. The
last week storm blew some tents with equipment, which were recouped to a good