Area after the summit pyramid ©EverestNews.com
Update May 21st 2005 2.29AM in America: 15 climbers Summit
Everest as of 10.40 AM Nepal time!
Michael Frank and his two Sherpa: Team
Alongi 2005 (3 Summits), Rosa Maria Fernandez
and her 2 Sherpas (3 Summits), that leaves another 9! Part of these
climbers are believed to be Summit Climb's North side team by the climbers on
Everest. But that is not confirmed. More summits could occur...
Update May 21st 2005: 11 climbers are seen on the summit
pyramid above the third step on the North side! These climbers are believed to
be Summit Climb's North side team by the climbers on Everest. (THAT IS NOT
CONFIRMED). We should have summits by 11.00am Nepal time. Climbers are seen
Indian climbers are reported to have turned back on the
ridge. Again we cannot tell is ALL Indian climbers have turned back.
This is real time reporting... Things are very fluid....
Update May 21st: The weather is holding according to
climbers on the mountain. However, climbers (believed to be Indian) can be heard on the summit ridge
on Everest "complain there are no ropes". "no clouds over the mountain or
summit." From a veteran Everest Summiter, "I would push it fast."
Everest 2005: The Finns "No fixed rope up
The Brazilians (on the
North) and the Austrians are down (back to ABC).
Results of the Summit bids on the 20th are still unknown.
attempted, but just no news it they made it. It is also
unknown if the
Rosa Maria Fernandez
attempted, waited or turned back. Climbers on the mountain told
EverestNews.com that 2 men with Sherpas were with her. The speculation is that
Michael Frank and Ken Hill.
Michael Frank is reported at high
camp. Ken Hill headed up on the 16th, and has not returned.
Two strong Japanese climbers with Sherpas are also up there and either are
attempting or will attempt the next day. Plus other independents...
Possible Summit bids on the 21st: SummitClimb, should be at camp
3 ready to head up on the 21st. There are also independent climbers in
this push, more on them soon. Indian Climbers: Two reported at Camp 2, unknown
if Sherpas are with them.
and Victor, Vladimir Lande with his personal high-altitude porter stay in
camp of 7700 m..
The Chinese were moving up hoping to summit on the 22nd.
They have moved a group up to the North Col (camp 1) on the 19th. They appear
too late and are complaining about weather reports.
The weather on the 23rd is expected to turn very bad.
Climbers NEED to get down as far down as they can by the 23rd. The 21st is
expected to have wind speeds in the 40 mph range with snow in the afternoon.
Norwegian Everest2005: One group
of 4 was heading for Camp2 today, but decided to turn back to ABC because of
the weather forecast with heavy winds coming in. All seven (the remaining out
of 10) are going down to Base camp to get some rest, and hope for a third
men from China, Norway, and the Indian Army team will fix the ropes from today
(May 19th) to Saturday (May 21st). However, others are head of them and are
expected to make the Summit push as early as the 20th, with SummitClimb
attempting on the 21st. However, those on the 20 and 21st might not be
succesful. Therefore, is seems these 4 would then fix what is needed. Source:
Vojvodina Everest Expedition 2005:
Gerfried Goeschl aborts summit
attempt at camp 2
The Everest Summit push is on
from the North. The window is small and somewhat dangerous. 5 independent
climbers, including one American are in the push plus the SummitClmb North side
team, and some various climbers below. SummitClimb appears to be the key, in
that they have rope and Sherpas. Rope SummitClimb bought to the mountain.
Without the rope, the others will have to climb the mountain using the old
ropes which is possible, but dangerous. At least 4 of the independent climbers
are a day ahead of SummitClimb. Of course, we don't know if the independent
climbers know that the ropes are only fixed to the top of the ridge, they
might be operating under the assumption or false reports that the rope was put
in all the way to the Second step as they paid for....
Sport Everest Boot has made some minor changes by adding
more Kevlar. USES Expeditions / High
altitude / Mountaineering in extremely cold conditions / Isothermal to
-75°F Gore-Tex® Top dry / Evazote Reinforcements with aramid threads.
Avg. Weight: 5 lbs 13 oz Sizes: 5 - 14 DESCRIPTION Boot with semi-rigid
shell and built-in Gore-Tex® gaiter reinforced by aramid threads, and
removable inner slipper Automatic crampon attachment Non-compressive
fastening Double zip, so easier to put on Microcellular midsole to
increase insulation Removable inner slipper in aluminized alveolate
Fiberglass and carbon footbed Cordura + Evazote upper Elasticated
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
SIZES LISTED. See more here.
weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus
Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight
double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with
a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a
super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the
TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on
steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons
CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura®
upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating
closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated
removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand
See more here.