Today's News
   8000 Meters Facts
Banners Ads
   Classified Ads
   Climb for Peace


   Mailing List

News (current)
   News Archives
   Sat Phones
   Seven Summits
   Readers Guide

   Trip Reports
   Visitor Agreement



  Mt. Everest 2005: Valencia: Summit push aborted

Update: The climbers have just called from CIV, with gasps because of the lack of oxygen at 8,000m.  They decided to leave for the summit, they will start walking in 1 hour approximately (22h Nepal).  The wind hasn't receded so it may be possible they have to come back soon, anyway they will climb without looking down and if they have to turn around they will do it without looking at what is left behind. The Brazilians and an American expedition that has been in CIV since yesterday will also leave upwards

Update: After 20 minutes of ascent, David decides to turn around because of the cold.  He is already back in CIV.  He has the satellite phone, and Jorge and Haya have gone up with the walkie talkies.  They have very little battery left, so please don't call so that they can use it in case of need.  He is fine and is resting in CIV. All the English bottles they had failed except for 4 which Jorge and Haya took up.

Update: The blizzard is harder and the 4 bottles of English oxygen have failed, so Jorge has decided to go back to CIV, and Haya also did it later.  Now the 3 of them are in CIV sheltered from the blizzards without problems. It is forecasted that no climber will get to the summit of Everest with these conditions. They will spend the night in CIV.

The climbers are back in CIII, once they unmounted CIV and CIII they want to go down to CII to spend the night.  They are well physically.   They don't know much about the Brazilians, they are still up. 

They are happy because at least they tried. 

The plan after sleeping in CII is to go down tomorrow to sleep in BC and after 3 days of trekking, take the plane from Luckla to Katmandu.  It looks like the British will refund the money of the failed oxygen bottles

Update: Jorge, David and Haya are in Camp II They plan to climb to Camp III tomorrow morning, Tuesday, May 31, on Wednesday, June 1 climb to CIV and on Tuesday, June 2 reach the summit. 

It was very hard for us to get to CII yesterday, it took us 9 hours.  The 20 days or more without climbing beyond BC, are evident.  We have lost some acclimatization and the fitness has also fallen because of the lack of activity.  David was a little better than Jorge and Haya on the way up.

We will stay all day in CII as we planned, trying to recover that acclimatization partly lost to get our bodies gradually used to the physical effort required to climb and eight-thousand.

We slept 5 in the same tent in CII (3 of us and the 2 Brazilians) and we tried to mount a kind of advanced BC where we play our dice games and we try to drink and eat everything possible.  The truth is that at this altitude we don't accept food as in BC and it is a real effort to get something solid in our mouths, but we force ourselves because we know it is necessary.  At least hydration is being done very good and we have drunk more than 2 litters of water each one in afternoon of dice.

We got really good news from CIV, our friend Jesús Calleja, from Leon, has reached the summit this early morning and he is resting in CIV to try to go down to BC tomorrow in one try.  We have spoken to him through the satellite phone.  He told us that he was feeling very good during the whole ascent since he left BC.  With him was Willie Benegas, an Argentinean mountain guide of whom we told you days ago.  He was the one in charge to open the Hillary step.

The trail is stupendous for us, because there is an open trail up to the summit and it is rigged with fixed lines up to the south summit and the Hillary step.

The meteo, we better not mention it because it is all so contradictory that we don't know if we should trust it.  It looks like the day we chose (June 2) in which winds looked under 30 Km/h have changed to 60 Km/h.  we hope that as we get closer to the date they will recede. 

From tomorrow we will only carry the voice phone and the data phone will be left at CII.  So from tomorrow we will tell the chronicle to Endika and he will transcribe it.  The pictures will be taken from other publications and web sites, but when we are back to CII, we will send all the audiovisual material we can in take in these days of altitude.

Tomorrow we will try to climb to CIII and we have set our alarm clock to 5 in the morning. 

We want to close today's chronicle with a phrase by Irivan, one of the Brazilians, we like it because it lifts our spirits in the moments of exhaustion: "If you give one more step, you are not in the same place anymore". We hope to write tomorrow from CIII.  Don't fail us, Expeadicts.

Translated from Spanish by Jorge Rivera


Millet One Sport Everest Boot  has made some minor changes by adding more Kevlar. USES Expeditions / High altitude / Mountaineering in extremely cold conditions / Isothermal to -75°F Gore-Tex® Top dry / Evazote Reinforcements with aramid threads. Avg. Weight: 5 lbs 13 oz Sizes: 5 - 14 DESCRIPTION Boot with semi-rigid shell and built-in Gore-Tex® gaiter reinforced by aramid threads, and removable inner slipper Automatic crampon attachment Non-compressive fastening Double zip, so easier to put on Microcellular midsole to increase insulation Removable inner slipper in aluminized alveolate Fiberglass and carbon footbed Cordura + Evazote upper Elasticated collar.

Expedition footwear for mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold.  NOTE US SIZES LISTED. See more here.

A cold weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura® upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand See more here.








Altitude pre-


   Atlas snowshoes

   Black Diamond




   CaVa Climbing Shoes

   Clif Bar




   Edelweiss ropes
Eureka Tents




   Granite Gear


   Ice Axes

   Kavu Eyewear







   Mountain Hardwear




   New England Ropes







   Princeton Tec

   Prescription Glacier



   Rope Bags

   Seattle Sports

Sleeping Bags






   Tool Logic

   Trekking Poles
and more here



Send email to  • Copyright© 1998-2012  EverestNews.com
All rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Visitor Agreement, Legal Notes: Read it