Today's News
   8000 Meters Facts
Banners Ads
   Classified Ads
   Climb for Peace


   Mailing List

News (current)
   News Archives
   Sat Phones
   Seven Summits
   Readers Guide

   Trip Reports
   Visitor Agreement



  Mt. Everest 2005: Valencia: It didn't happen

Update: Friday, June 3, 2005

It was 22:30 yesterday, Nepal time, when we decided to dress up for the final attack.  We slept just a little nap in CIV and after the battering of the ascent up to this camp we were ready to go to the summit.

The wind blew at some 40 Km/h but we had the confidence that it could diminish so we put our bet on it and we took off upwards.  We were several expeditions making the attempt, the American, the Brazilian and others.  Although we went up early, some climbers were way ahead of us.

We had trust, but at the same time we knew that if the wind didn't stop we wouldn't get to the summit.

The oxygen was another problem that worried us.  Out of all the English bottles we had, only 4 were working and it was not enough for the 3 of us.

20 minutes after getting out of the tent the wind got worse.  David was cold all over his body, but especially in his hands, and the little oxygen he had started to fail, it was not enough.  So David decided to turn around and go back to CIV.  He took the satellite phone with him, he had a long night ahead of him with radio contacts with Jorge and Haya and telephone contacts with the Expeadicts.

Before he turned back he left the bottles for his teammates and opened up Jorge's bottle who also started sense the failure of the bottle.

A little later Jorge realized that he couldn't climb with these bottles and the wind was worse for moments.  The blizzard came from the southeast and it hit our eyes so hard that we had to put on the sunglasses at night.  Jorge tried with another bottle but when he put on the regulator, the oxygen escaped without putting on the mask, another damaged one!  He decides to go down.  After a moment we started to see other expeditions turn around because of the cold and the strong blizzard that was worse in the altitude.

Now it was only Haya ascending with one of the Sherpas, Haya's oxygen also fails.  The Sherpa offers to change it and at the moment that he puts on the Sherpa's Russian bottle everything changes, it is easier to progress but now is the Sherpa who can't make a step with the English bottle.

The wind continues blowing with strength, so Haya facing the fact that he can't continue alone and the persistence of the wind, decides to turn around half an hour after saying goodbye to Jorge.  The Brazilians have left before and were way ahead.  When the oxygen failed they send a Sherpa to CIV to get more bottles and continued climbing.

They had reached 8,200m. approximately, under the Balcony.  It was their altitude record.

We met in Camp IV, the 3 of us, and we were really happy, because at least we had attempted an attack to the summit after almost a month waiting in BC.

We had done everything possible but the weather and luck were against us and they didn't want us up there.

This morning in CIV we got up without rush with the idea of greeting the Brazilians before going down to CII.  David had gone down a little before and Haya and Jorge had not left by 12:30.

We loaded up out Sherpa Lakpa in an indecent way, he had an incredible backpack, but he didn't say anything when he saw how tired we were.  After a little stop in CIII to rest and recover we continued down to CII. 

We reached CII tired and we contacted the Brazilians.

They reached the summit!!!! and they have just got to CIV at 19:30 since 22h of yesterday, they are really beaten, but sheltered in CIV, tomorrow they will go down to CII.

We are tired but happy in camp II making water and getting ready to have dinner, sleep and go down to BC tomorrow.

Today in BC, a Russian helicopter crashed, but luckily there were no victims, but the alternative of going back in helicopter has been discarded.  Tomorrow or day after tomorrow we will go from BC to Lukla where we will catch a little plane to Katmandu.

We are happy for the expedition, but above all for all those people that had been supporting us from the beginning, making us strong to try something with dignity for them, despite the circumstances.

Thanks a lot, Expeadicts.

Translated from Spanish by Jorge Rivera


Millet One Sport Everest Boot  has made some minor changes by adding more Kevlar. USES Expeditions / High altitude / Mountaineering in extremely cold conditions / Isothermal to -75°F Gore-Tex® Top dry / Evazote Reinforcements with aramid threads. Avg. Weight: 5 lbs 13 oz Sizes: 5 - 14 DESCRIPTION Boot with semi-rigid shell and built-in Gore-Tex® gaiter reinforced by aramid threads, and removable inner slipper Automatic crampon attachment Non-compressive fastening Double zip, so easier to put on Microcellular midsole to increase insulation Removable inner slipper in aluminized alveolate Fiberglass and carbon footbed Cordura + Evazote upper Elasticated collar.

Expedition footwear for mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold.  NOTE US SIZES LISTED. See more here.

A cold weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura® upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand See more here.








Altitude pre-


   Atlas snowshoes

   Black Diamond




   CaVa Climbing Shoes

   Clif Bar




   Edelweiss ropes
Eureka Tents




   Granite Gear


   Ice Axes

   Kavu Eyewear







   Mountain Hardwear




   New England Ropes







   Princeton Tec

   Prescription Glacier



   Rope Bags

   Seattle Sports

Sleeping Bags






   Tool Logic

   Trekking Poles
and more here



Send email to  • Copyright© 1998-2012  EverestNews.com
All rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, Visitor Agreement, Legal Notes: Read it