May 25: Our team is busy
packing. The last 5 days have been full of weather reports and team
interactions that belie upon comparing what is acceptable for our team versus
what's acceptable for others in terms of cold temperatures and high winds.
Finally, we feel that the shot we will get has come, and we are planning to
head up on the 26th of May to Camp 2 to start our summit attempt.
rest on the 27th - and if the winds and forecasts hold true, will head to Camp
3 on the 28th, Camp 4 on the 29th, start our summit attempt that evening and
hopefully summit on the 30th of May. We do have the supplies at Camp 2 to
hold out for a few days if the better weather does not bear fruit on the
teammates and I are at least finally getting to relieve some of the pressure
that has built up over the last month, and at least, we see some reasonable
conclusion to our climb and expedition.
were raised by better forecasts, and our BC Manager had been telling us all
week long that it was going to improve - its always good to have a great
cheerleader here in camp, and hopefully we will get our good window - or
acceptable window for our team.
have been heading up today as well as pretty much almost all other teams are
heading up in the next few days to give it a go. The rope fixing operation
set up by the "commission" in BC in which our BC Manager had a big hand in is
in place and finalizing the placement of gear, materiel and Sherpa power.
It will be
a unique occurrence to be here at least on the mountain for the annual
anniversary of the first summit (May 29, 1953). Chuck, Dan, John and I are
healthy and ready to go. Paula has assumed "mission control" status and will
monitor our progress as we move up the mountain.
Everest Climber, author and
motivational speaker. To book
weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus
Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight
double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with
a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a
super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the
TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on
steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons
CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura®
upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating
closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated
removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand
See more here.