in Nanga Parbat Wednesday, July 13, 2005
right dear friends, the forecasts fail, or worse, they are never right. Here
we are back again in BC soaked wet with snow on our shoulders.
As I said
in the last report I wrote on Sunday, July 10, on Tuesday 12 in the early
morning, along with my colleagues form Aragon, we left from BC to chase our
respective teammates who were in the high altitude camps, to join and continue
from there with the summit attack. The plan has been done according to a
weather forecast that promised good days, at least from Tuesday to Friday.
surprise! In the early morning of Tuesday, just on the way to C1, water
appeared unexpectedly to faithfully guard us during the first two hours of our
journey. We talked by radio with our teammates in C2 and it was snowing up
there. What a forecasts we've received. In that moment all involved huddled
up and the only immediate conclusion was to abort the summit attack.
Back to BC
the rainfall was harder and the rest of the day was like that, under the fog
and rain. My teammates who were above in C2, after their frustrated attempt
to reach C2 to stock up, had to remain inside their tents hanging from the
edge of the ridge, watching how slowly the hours went by and how the
Wednesday, the panorama has changed at least a little, instead of having rain
early in the morning, it started at noon.
If you ask
me how my spirit is, well, very well, my dear friends. I don't lose hope, not
even a little, I know that this bad weather is going away sooner or later,
that the conditions of Nanga Parbat will improve and it will surely give us
the chance we've been waiting for. Until then I use my time in diverse
activities: during the morning I go jogging on the prairie that is 200 m below
with illusion the few chapters left from my book which will see the light on
the first week of October.
You will buy it, will you? Because it is really good.
reading, I almost finish a very interesting novel by Gioconda Belli
(Nicaraguan author): La mujer habitada (The inhabited woman).
afternoon there is good chat with Sebastian (Alvaro) who has good conversation
and who is directing the orchestra, or we watch a flick from the wide
selection who the same Sebastian brought or my "little sister" Edurne. Today
we watched Master and Commander, which I enjoyed a lot admiring our Galapagos
Islands, and feeling proud about that jewel of ours.
there is nothing left but to listen what our heart will tell (as in the old
times), because the truth is that, with much respect, I don't know how the
heck the weathermen who send us their reports make their living. Because as
for Nanga Parbat they haven't hit the spot, not even by far.
great love, from this rainy afternoon at the bottom of Nanga
IVAN VALLEJO RICAURTE
Translated from Spanish by
Sport Everest Boot has made some minor changes by adding
more Kevlar. USES Expeditions / High
altitude / Mountaineering in extremely cold conditions / Isothermal to
-75°F Gore-Tex® Top dry / Evazote Reinforcements with aramid threads.
Avg. Weight: 5 lbs 13 oz Sizes: 5 - 14 DESCRIPTION Boot with semi-rigid
shell and built-in Gore-Tex® gaiter reinforced by aramid threads, and
removable inner slipper Automatic crampon attachment Non-compressive
fastening Double zip, so easier to put on Microcellular midsole to
increase insulation Removable inner slipper in aluminized alveolate
Fiberglass and carbon footbed Cordura + Evazote upper Elasticated
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
SIZES LISTED. See more here.