46th day of the 10 Years of
Brazil on Everest Expedition
Base Camp (5,400m)
This is our 6th consecutive
day of rest, after our last climb to higher altitudes on Everest, when we
spent a night in camp 3 (7,300m).
If you followed the events
closely, I know you got to the conclusion that these were days that nobody
would have liked to live here, in the end we had two deaths (one by heart
attack, another by falling in a crevasse), and a sweeping avalanche that
destroyed camp 1 completely (nobody wants to sleep there, what was left was a
big scene of destruction, a big amount of snow and big stones scattered on the
To make the scene even
sadder, the weather is worst every day, with long and heavy snowfalls, that
should recede in intensity beginning tomorrow, according to the forecasts.
Not even the strong Sherpas
have resisted so much pressure and today they climbed down to camp 2, where
they are waiting for the weather to improve. Their expectative, and ours, is
that they could climb to the South Col to finally mount camp 4 (8,000m). They
tried, went up to the middle of the way towards camp 3, but turned around
scared because of the amount of snow accumulated on the Face of Lhotse, where
they said there are up to 70 cm of snow in some points, which is a great risk
When I talk about "Sherpas",
I refer to not just the Sherpas (high altitude carriers) of expedition, but to
the Sherpas of all the expeditions, which make a team of around 150 or more
people, who are working for the 23 expeditions of the Nepalese side of
Everest. The Sherpas, loyal to those who hire them, have a strong liaison
with their peers, their work together, no matter which expedition they belong
to, and they know when and how they can dare to pass the obstacles that are on
the mountain. Without their help, climbing Everest would be very different
and much, much harder.
We are reaching a critical
point of the season, a lot of teams, like ours, are already in conditions to
make the final attack to the summit of Everest, what we need is that the
mountain gives us this condition, that the weather improves so that we have a
guarantee of a successful and safe final climb.
Unhappily, we don't know when
the conditions will be favorable, so starting now, there is a great
expectative to the arrival of weather forecasts, which basically depend of two
important factors, the snow and the wind. In these weeks we had a lot of snow
and the wind was blowing. For the next week, snow should be less, but the
speed of the wind, the famous "jet stream" that blows in higher altitudes,
should be over 100 Km/h.
Well, the challenge is to
wait a little more, pray, bur incense, at the end, in this important phase of
the expedition, any kind of faith is no exaggeration.
Today's top picture was shot
by my friend Irivan, in which I can be seen shooting some pictures in our camp
3, in the background you can see the superior pyramid of Everest, with its
culminant point 1,548m above our heads.
In the bottom, from far, the
little tents of camp 3, ours in one of the higher ones. In the middle a line
of Sherpas that follow the Face of Lhotse towards camp 3. Next, me and
Irivan, after escaping from the storm we got into our tent in camp 3.
We count with your support.
Translated from Portuguese by
Sport Everest Boot Expedition and mountaineering boot for high altitude
and extremely cold conditions. The Everest has conquered all 14
mountains over 8,000m and also the Seven Summits- and has now had a
makeover to ensure continued peak preformance. With a newer sung, Alpine
Fit, and even lighter
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
See more here.