Christine Feld Boskoff CEO
of Mountain Madness
and now a 2 time summiter of Everest
Dispatch: Dispatch #8 - July
Basecamp. Yesterday evening
the clouds disappeared over the peaks and some teams left basecamp very early
this morning towards Camp 1. A large German group led the way, encountering
knee-deep snow in places, but relatively mild conditions. More clouds and
light snow flurries returned today, but it remains warm and calm at basecamp.
Our group will leave for Camp 1 tonight, at 1:00 am on July 6. The weather
forecast calls for a dry spell starting July 8, so we hope to be in position
at Camp 1 then to continue pushing the route higher, possibly to Camp 3. We
may be above basecamp for several days if the forecast holds true. Many of the
other expeditions on the mountain are also planning on moving to Camp 1
tonight and there will be a big push by all the groups to establish higher
camps on the mountain in the next few days. Everyone on the Mountain Madness
team is well-rested and ready to get back on the mountain.
Dispatch #7 – July 4, 2005:
Basecamp. For the last few days the team has been at basecamp, resting from
our time up at Camp 1 and sitting out some bad weather. For the last few days
there have been frequent snow showers with some brief periods of sunshine.
Everyone is anxious to head back up the hill, but the forecast looks like a
day or two more of unsettled conditions. In the meantime, several other
expeditions have arrived and basecamp is taking on a real international
flavor. Yesterday several expedition leaders met to coordinate breaking trail
on both Gasherbrum 1 and 2 and maintaining the trail through the icefall and
glacier to Camp 1 (common to both mountains). The long spell of good weather
has made the icefall challenging, with crevasses widening daily; one in
particular now requires a big jump to cross.
All teams are in basecamp
now, but hope to head up to Camp 1 in a day or two if the weather improves as
forecasted. Our plan is to sleep at Camp 1, then finish breaking trail to Camp
2, where we will spend another night. Weather and fitness permitting, we will
try to reach Camp 3 on our next outing, as well.
Happy July 4! - Cheers, Charlie
Sport Everest Boot has made some minor changes by adding
more Kevlar. USES Expeditions / High
altitude / Mountaineering in extremely cold conditions / Isothermal to
-75°F Gore-Tex® Top dry / Evazote Reinforcements with aramid threads.
Avg. Weight: 5 lbs 13 oz Sizes: 5 - 14 DESCRIPTION Boot with semi-rigid
shell and built-in Gore-Tex® gaiter reinforced by aramid threads, and
removable inner slipper Automatic crampon attachment Non-compressive
fastening Double zip, so easier to put on Microcellular midsole to
increase insulation Removable inner slipper in aluminized alveolate
Fiberglass and carbon footbed Cordura + Evazote upper Elasticated
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
SIZES LISTED. See more here.
weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus
Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight
double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with
a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a
super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the
TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on
steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons
CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura®
upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating
closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated
removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand
See more here.