K2 West Face diary July, 8-14
Snowfall all night around.
Alexey Bolotov's group descended to BC for the rest.
Gleb Sokolov's group stayed in ABC. Totmjanin's group works above C4,
but they could only remove loads to the end of ropes because of durty
The weather's fine. Sokolov's group ascended to C2. Totmjanin's group
climbed 3 ropes and has prepared the place for the removing C4 tent .
Sokolov's group ascended from C2 to C3. Then Sokolov and Gorelik
brought some more equipment from C2 to C3. Totmjanin's group
removed C4 on 6 ropes up and climbed 1 rope more. Victor Volodin went
because of health problems.
Shabalin's group went up from BC to ABC. Sokolov's group ascended to C4.
Totmjanin's group climbed 3 ropes more and descended to C2.
Shabalin's group ascended to C1,
Totmjanin's group returned to BC fo the rest.
Sokolov's group climbed 2 ropes more.
The weather have worsened - clouds, snowfall, hard wind.
Sokolov's group stay in C4, periodically cleaning the tent from the
- a lot of durty avalnches...
Shabalin's group is ascending from C1 to C2.
The snowfall's continuing... The duo Sgabalin - Tukhvatullin stayed in
C2, the duo Mariev - Popovitch
ascended to C3 with the equipment and digged the tent from the snow.
Sokolov's group remained in C4.
From the BC Victor Kozlov and Nickolay Totmjanin, July 14
Earlier: Some news from the
West Face, July, 01 - 08 .
01.07.07 The duo
Andrew Mariev - Iljas Tukhvatullin climbed 3,5 pitches
and have found the place for Camp 4 (7200 m). Party Pavel Shabalin -
Vadim Popovitch has brought loads from С1 to С2. Bolotov's group
ascended to C1.
02.07.07 Shabalin's group brouhgt equipment and set the tiny tent
«Solo+» in С4.
Mariev and Tukhvatullin spent night there, Shabalin and Popovitch - in
Bolotov's group ascended to C2.
03.07.07 In the
evening Shabalin's group descended to С1.
Bolotov's group ascended to С3.
group ascended to С4 and set the big tent «Cave 6»
for 4 persons. Shabalin's group returned to BC. Totmjanin's group
ascended to АВС.
group climbed 2 pitches to the left from C4.
Totmjanin's group ascended to C2 from ABC.
06.07.07 The duo
Gennady Kirievsky - Alexander Korobkov in the very bad weather
climbed 2 pitches up. Totmjanin's group ascended to C3. Tomjanin and
have brought loads to C4.
07.07.07 The duo
Alexey Bolotov - Alexander Korobkov climbed 3 pitches and then descended
to C3. The duo Gennady Kirievsky - Serguey Penzov brought loads to the
end of ropes and then descended to ABC. Totmjanin's group
ascended to C4. Sokolov's group, and doctor Serguey Bychkovsky and
the coach Nickolay Cherny ascended to ABC.
group returned to BC for the rest.
From BC Victor Kozlov,
Alexey Bolotov and Pavel Shabalin July, 8 on 6 p.m.
Expedition diary June, 25 - 30
25.06.07 Totmjanin's group had changed Bolotov's group
and continued the climb above C2: the party Nickolay Totmjanin - Valery
Shamalo climbed 3 ropes and reached the snow ledge, where they managed to
set the tiny tent "solo+", while Victor Volodin and Alex Komarov were
hauling up equipment from C2 to C2. The trio spent the night in that tiny
tent in C3, and Komarov descended to C2. Sokolov's group hauled up
equipment from ABC to C1.
26.06.07: Duo Victor Volodin - Valery Shamalo climbed 3
more ropes above С3. Totmjanin - Komarov have brought loads from C2 to C3.
Three climbers spent the night in C3. Gleb Sokolov and Vitaly
Gorelik reached C2.
27.06.07: Tomjanin's group climbed 1 more rope, hauled
equipment to the end of the fixed ropes, and descended to ABC. Sokolov -
Gorelik spent night in C3. Vinogradsky - Ivanov hauled loads from C1 to
28.06.07: Sokolov - Gorelik climbed 1 more rope and
descended to C2, Vinogradsky - Ivanov spent night in C3. Tomjanin's group
returned to BC, Shabalin's group ascended from BC to C1 in spite of
worsening weather. ;It was rain in BC in the evening, and the snowfall in
ABC and above it, with the strong wind. ;
29.06.07: Sokolov's group returned to ABC, Shabalin's
group ascended to C2 during the bad weather.
30.06.07 The weather became better; the snowfall has
stopped, there're less clouds. Shabalin's group ascended to C3, did the
ledge under the ten more comfortable and set large tent there - now 6
persons can rest there. The duo Sokolov - Gorelik stayed in ABC for a
while for the safety of the leading party.
Tomorrow Shabalin's group will continue to climb the
route, if the weather will stay the same, and Alexey Bolotov's group will
leave BC for ABC.
After the first extremely steep rock band on the
bastion, which can be compare with vertical rocks on Jannu North Face, nor
less complex rocks are on the next, middle part of the bastion, at the
altitudes above 7000 m. The climbers need not only the excellent climbing
skills, but either be under the altitude and cold pressing. Hope, the
rocks relief and the weather will give us the chance to climb free
further. The rock is hard, there're many long vertical cracks and inner
corners, covered by ice - the good drytooling poligon.
brave. Victor Kozlov and Nickolay Totmjanin - from the Base Camp, June,
30, 5 p.m.
Earlier News from K2 West Face:
June, 23, 2007 BC called (0-20 p.m., Moscow time): Yesterday we had a
funny party - congratulated Pavel with his grandson. We wish him a
granddaughter too! There's too hot in the BC - we can't enter our small
tents, only big mess -tents save us due to its good ventilation. All guys
who are back from the wall, use banja today and are washing their clothes.
Our banja on the river's bank is very comfortable - you can open the tent
and jump into the icy river! We'll call with news from the route just
after the evening radio contact. The weather's good, guys are working.
June, 22, 2007 Evening:
We got the message on 5-30 p.m.: "Pavel Shabalin became a grandfather
today: His grandson was 4180 g, 56 sm!!!" Congratulations!!!
And only 5 minutes later
the happy grandfather returned to BC. Drinking the first glass for his
grandson's health, he has reported:
"Our push was partial
during the bad weather. June, 19 we carried loads, removed our Camp 1 from
6000 m to 6200 m. June, 20 the weather improved, so Iljas Tukhvatullin and
Andrew Mariev fixed next 5 ropes on the route. June, 21 they work together
with Bolotov's group and fixed one more rope and found the place for the
Camp 2. Then descended to 6200.
Alexey Bolotov and
Gennady Kirievsky spent the night in Camp 2 (6750). Today they have fixed
next 2 ropes. "Wow! It looks like Jannu!", - said Gennady climbing one of
the cornices. The team believes the lower part of the bastion could be the
most difficult part of the route. "The wall looks like a composition of
Everest North Face with Jannu North Face - so steep rock wall on the high
altitude" - said team members.
Nickolay Totmjanin and
Valery Shamalo carry loads for Bolotov's group, who will spent the night
in Camp 2 today (4 persons). Tomorrow they will continue their work and
then will descend, and Totmjanin's group will replace them on the wall.
Gleb Sokolov's group will climb to Camp 1 and begin to help them.
Temperatures on the lower
part of the wall are really crazy, pending from -13C at night, up to +49C
midday at 6200 m! There're extremely hot and very difficult to work. But
at 6800 it's better - we can live there, because there's the wind... In
ABC it's very hot from midday till 3-30 p.m. We use snowshoes on the
Victor Kozlov called from
BC early morning today:
"Three days we couldn't
call by sat phone and had no internet, but now all's OK. The weather
improved from June, 20.
The results (from June,
21 evening radio relations, 6 p.m. local time): Two groups work at the
bastion - Pavel Shabalin's and Alexey Bolotov's. Camp 1 has been moved
from 6000 to 6200 m. Camp 2 set at 6750 m, ropes fixed till 6830 m.
Today morning (June,22)
the group led by Nickolay Totmjanin left ABC and is going up to change
Shabalin's group on the bastion.
Earlier: June, 21, 2007 Victor Kozlov
called from BC early morning today:
"Three days we couldn't call
by sat phone and had no internet, but now all's OK. We had to change the sim-carte.
The weather improved from June, 20.
The resuts (from June, 21
evening radio relations, 6 p.m. local time): Two groups work at the bastion
- Pavel Shabalin's and Alexey Bolotov's. Camp 1 has been moved from 6000 to
6200 m. Camp 2 set at 6750 m, ropes fixed till 6830 m.
Today morning (June,22) the
group led by Nickolay Totmjanin left ABC and is going up to change
Shabalin's group on the bastion.
Earlier: June 15, 20007:
team descended to Base camp
June, 14, 2007
The team set Camp 1 at 6000 m, overcome berg and began to climb rock on the
West Face. 6500 m
returned to BC. Together with Valery Shamalo we began yesterday to climb from
the upper isefall pillow, reached the berg and crossed it, then climbed 6
ropes and have tought the rocks. There was snow-covered ice, and rock bastion
consisted of four persons - Valery and me fixed ropes and Victor Volodin and
Serguey Penzov brought the ropes to us.
We started from
ABC (5600 m) yesterday, worked one day, spent the night in Camp 1, and now
have returned to the base.
Berg is huge, but
we found the serak overhunging the berg, so crossed it without problems.
The wall is very
steep - I had to lift up my head to look at it. And it's obviously that it's
the same further. But the bastion is not dangerous - there're no falling
stones, no stones treks - absolutely clear wall, only snow streams are falling
exposition provides the sun during the whole day on the whole wall, from the
bottom to the top, from 8-9 a.m. Extremely hot! We worked in the base layer
only. But it's too difficult to choose the right clothes - if you are in the
shadow - it's very cold. We're experimenting with our equipment yet.
All is healthy, but we are coughing, of cause - the air is
too dry on the altitude. Doc treats us in the BC.
We don't work on the route on our power limit yet because
our acclimatization is not completed. And carrying heavy loads is very hard on
the altitude, and it's too hot... I think we'll do faster soon, after our
acclimatization will be completed.
The weather's fine. But the snow began here, in BC. But it
was better on the wall - no snow. Today Gleb Sokolov, Vitaly Gorelik, Eugeny
Vinogradsky and Vitaly Ivanov carried loads to the end of our ropes and have
fixed 2 ropes more.
Camp 1 is on 6000 m, but we have to remove it to the more
Earlier: Pavel Shabalin, Iljas Tukhvatullin, Andrew Mariev, Gennady
Kirievsky, Alex Korobkov and Vadim Popovich set ABC camp (two tents)
Earlier: The team have reached BC
yesterday- the first expedition's stage is over successfully 1 day earlier than
planned. Six climbers have already gone to reconnaissance Savoya glacier -
they've marked the way to Japanese camp and are going back.
Victor Kozlov's call from K2
BC (4-50 p.m. Moscow time): "Yesterday we arrived to K2 BC. We are
respectively luck with the weather - today it's better, as the forecast
predicted. We got up early morning, on 5 a.m., and after tea began to go to
BC. Reaching the place, we gave bonus to our sirdar and porters - they were
satisfied. Yesterday evening and today we do our camp comfortable.
In the morning 6 climbers have already gone to reconnaissance Savoya glacier
- they've marked the way to Japanese camp and are going back.
We set the huge antenna and
have now BGAN terminal connection.
Than we lifted Russian flag, and Pakistan flag too - for our LO pleasure. The
"official opening" of the BC will be tomorrow -we'll stay
under the flag and sing the song "Varjag" (the famous Russian ship - ed. note)
- it's our tradition.
Except six climbers who work
on the glacier, others work in BC. All's OK, we are 1 day faster than is in
our timetable because we thought that had to spent one more day in Askole.
The loads which had been stayed there will be in BC soon. We have not yet to
cook the cucumbers, tomatoes and cabbage but do it as soon as possible
(we cooked only one barrel in Askole)"
Nickolay Totmjanin: "We have
to do a lot now to do our camp comfortable. But the weather's ideal, and our
souls need already to work at the route... Yesterday we have set living tents,
today - the technics tent, smoothed out 0,5 ga of the terrain.
Our technics works already, and we hope it'll be work on 100 percents tomorrow
- so, don't worry.
We have built the sauna (Russian
banja) on the bank of the stream, with kerosene stove - all's according to our
The Mount is in perfect
conditions, as on classic photo. Now it's covered by the snow - after
last days snowfalls, but there's no a lot of snow in the region. We see
American-Czech camp not far from ours, but have not met yet. We saw two
rescue choppers yesterday - they picked up one man to the board.
Greeting to all".
Background: Victor Kozlov - the
expedition leader, Nickolay Cherny - the coach
Climbers: Serguey Penzov (Severodvinsk),
Victor Volodin (Moscow), Valery Shamalo (Saint Petersburg), Dmitry Komarov
(Moscow), Pavel Shabalin (Kirov), Iljas Tukhvatullin (Podolsk), Andrey Mariev
(Togliatti), Vadim Popovitch (Nizhny Tagil), Gleb Sokolov (Novosibirsk),
Vitaly Ivanov (Novosibirsk), Vitaly Gorelik (Novosibirsk), Eugeny Vinogradsky
(Yekaterinburg), Alexey Bolotov (Yekaterinburg), Nickolay Totmjanin (Saint
Petersburg), Gennady Kirievsky (Magnitogorsk), Alexander Korobkov (Nizhny
Tagil), Victor Pleskachevsky (Moscow) - the head of organizing commitee of the
expedition, Serguey Bychkovsky (Yekaterinburg) - the doctor
News from K2 West Face Russian team
The team went up to Goro II today. There's the winter yet on
the Baltoro Glacier. Members wearing all warm clothers which they have (to the
contrast, they went in shorts two days ago). "It's difficult way for the
sportsmen too, - said by sat phone Nickolay Totmjanin today - we hope that our
porters will be able to reach the base camp. We have problems with porters every
day - have to check the weight of the loads.
The weather's very bad. Poor visibility, clouds, mist, but
today Masherbrum was cleared for the moment, and some of us could see it.
Our LO is great guy! He
brings a lot of books with him to the BC! We've bought the yak, and he goes to
BC with us - Iljas Tukhvatullin cares about him.
Sport Everest Boot Expedition and mountaineering boot for high altitude
and extremely cold conditions. The Everest has conquered all 14
mountains over 8,000m and also the Seven Summits- and has now had a
makeover to ensure continued peak preformance. With a newer sung, Alpine
Fit, and even lighter
Expedition footwear for
mountaineering in conditions of extreme cold. NOTE US
See more here.
weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus
Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight
double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with
a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a
super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the
TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on
steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons
CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura®
upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating
closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated
removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand
See more here.