One climber was still seen going UP at 8.30pm local time
last night. Some summited at 6pm. The weather is almost perfect for K2.
So... We are told 2 died on the way up...
We are being told as many as 12 did not yet make it back to
camp 4 yet. The Koreans DO have a group who were planning to try to summit
tonight. They are going to run into a mess .... The Korean will have oxygen,
but probably not much more than they will need. Taking themselves off oxygen
could result in death for their members.
A hope and a prayer. The weather is almost prefect... No one
could ask for better conditions...
A report that a big chunk of ice took out part of the fixed
lines is unconfirmed.
Rescues attempts from base camp to rescue someone at the
bottleneck would seem impossible, according to past K2 Summiters we have
The fate of many are in the hands of the themselves to will
their way down with the possible help of the Koreans...
Earlier: A Serbia climber fell from the bottleneck. His family we are told
have been told, but we will hold the news for 24 hours... A porter also is
believed to have died...
Other reached the the summit ... but late.
The Dutch team summited: Cas, Gerard and Pemba, and Wilco...
It was Wilco's third attempt.
Norwegians and Hugues, the Frenchman, summited
The Italian climber (Marco Confortola) was still going up very late....
His parent turned around early and it assumed safe.
At 8.30 pm local time, 3 headlights were seen going down up
around the shoulder... Unclear where everyone is at right now...
Gerard has become the 1st the FIRST Irishman to become a
If you believe, then prayers .....
Others: It is believed Eric the doctor and his Sherpa turned
around and it back in camp 3.
The Koreans summited first with oxygen and are believed to
be the strongest...
Mark Sheen did not attempt the summit.
Jelle Staleman is down to camp 3.
The last few meters seemed to take hours to reach....
The Singapore team made a good call and turned around. the
report is below...
August 1: The Singapore Team set off today from Camp 3
and headed towards Camp 4. They reached the tip of the shoulder from where they
could see the bottleneck, before turning to return to Camp 3. They will return
to BC tomorrow to recover and wait for their summit window.
An exhausted Robert said they were climbing about 20 % slower than he Koreans
and Americans who had been on the mountains far longer. He and Edwin are not as
well acclimatised as they would have liked, having arrived late at BC.
weather, high altitude double boot for extreme conditions The Olympus
Mons is the perfect choice for 8000-meter peaks. This super lightweight
double boot has a PE thermal insulating inner boot that is coupled with
a thermo-reflective outer boot with an integrated gaiter. We used a
super insulating lightweight PE outsole to keep the weight down and the
TPU midsole is excellent for crampon compatibility and stability on
steep terrain. WEIGHT: 39.86 oz • 1130 g LAST: Olympus Mons
CONSTRUCTION: Inner: Slip lasted Outer: Board Lasted OUTER BOOT: Cordura®
upper lined with dual-density PE micro-cellular thermal insulating
closed cell foam and thermo-reflective aluminium facing/ Insulated
removable footbed/ Vibram® rubber rand
See more here.